Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

My Attitude and Plans

Do your days always go as planned? If so please write me and tell me how you do it!! But I think no matter where one lives in the world – the unexpected happens. Sometimes it’s a refreshing change of plans, sometimes a crisis and sometimes just a nuisance. In the end it’s all about my attitude. How flexible am I and creative in further planning?

Neither of these traits has been at its fullest lately I’m sorry to say. I’ve stayed mildly frustrated and actually without a desire to do anything. But because of this I’ve paid more attention to the little things. What things might happen through the day to touch my attitude?

A cup of coffee and a relaxed morning – maybe even two cups!
Watching our one year old cat chase her tail on top of a chair and trying not to fall off!
A beautiful sunny day with a view of snowcapped mountains.
A fire in the fireplace and reading a good book.
Not setting my alarm!
A warm, sunny afternoon, a European sidewalk café, a taste treat and of course a cup of coffee.

In some respects I feel a little like Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music with her “raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens …..” But it’s important to celebrate the little things in life, I think. Life goes by quickly and it’s not always easy either. I need to take, at least a few seconds, to acknowledge these little things that can put a smile on my face or produce a sigh of contentment. Otherwise, I find myself harried, impatient and too often frustrated by not getting everything done that I’d planned.

As each day goes by, I realize on deeper and deeper levels that life is not just about me and my little plans! It’s amazing how small and petty I have been and can be. I do want to be available to God and the plans he has for my day. Please pray for flexibility and balance in my life.