Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2004

The Origins of Coffee and My English Teaching in Poland

I usually don’t write too much about my English teaching in my newsletters. And I never thought I’d be teaching as long as I have. Prior to coming here to Poland in 1996, support raising was difficult and going slow. So we (my co-worker and I) decided to teach English to help supplement our funds. This whole idea scared me at first because I had no experience, as I’m a licensed architect. I agreed to teaching for 1 year and maybe I would consider 2 years! This year I just finished my eighth year of teaching. Of course, when asked how long I would stay in Poland I said 2 to 3 years – 5 years maximum. I look back now and laugh at “my plan.” God has been faithful and hasn’t called me to leave yet.
As promised here is an example of one kind of the exercises my students need to do for the Cambridge test. This particular test is one of the hardest for them. You can also learn a little history of coffee through this exercise. For the answers – look for them on my blog in a few days.

(For the answers see "Coffee" Answers.)

COFFEE

Coffee is made from the beans that grow in the fruits of the coffee plant. There are usually two beans in each fruit and harvesting is done (0)___by___ hand.
The word ‘coffee’ derives from the Arabic ‘qahwah’, a word (1)________ was originally used for wine, but which came to mean coffee. Coffee beans (2)_________ to be chewed before it was discovered that they (3)_______ be boiled with water (4)________ make a drink.
Coffee drinking began in Arab countries in the 14th century and did not (5)________ common in Europe (6)_______ the 17th century. At (7)________, coffee was sold by chemists, but it (8)________ little impact until the first coffee shop opened and instructions about (9)_________ to roast and grind the coffee were published.
In London, the first coffee houses – places (10)________ people met, drank coffee and talked – opened in 1652. In 1657 the King tried to close them (11)________ they were reported to disturb ‘the peace and quiet of the nation’. They did indeed have a great influence (12)________ political and commercial life. Several modern banks and other financial institutions have (13)________ origins in these coffee houses.
By the end of the 19th century, demand (14)________ coffee had grown and there were a great many plantations in tropical Africa. Today,(15)_______ world’s largest producers are Brazil, Colombia and the Ivory Coast.