Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Coffee and the Expat (?) Process

As is my usual procedure, I discuss the locale's coffee situation wherever I travel. However, I have been unable to complete my sampling -- until I got home! Merida, in the end, did rise to suitable standards, despite the disparaging beginning of Nescafe instant. :( There was a very nice specialty coffee place, selling hot, iced, and blended coffee drinks, along with sandwiches and treats -- La Boheme. Some of the coffee drinks were too high in other flavors and over the top in calories, but I didn't have to order them! :) At a couple of other restaurants I received very good espresso, and as you know, learned how to order it with just a little milk -- "cortado."

Although, I had to wait until home before I could make some specialty coffee that I bought there. It is called De Olla and it is particular to the Yucatan, as I understand it. It comes ground with cinnamon and sugar. While chatting, I shared some with a friend. I have to say it was suspect even upon opening the bag -- the mixture was not remotely dark and rich as I like my coffee beans. Sure there is cinnamon added but... Neither one of us would really call it a coffee drink, even though there was a hint of coffee. There was a very pleasant sweet and spicy flavor that was really more tea like, in my opinion. So not objectionable but definitely not coffee!

We are so glad we finally made it to Merida after all the research we'd done. Even before going though, we had pretty much decided it would be too hot for us. Assumption confirmed! We loved the city and the people, so warm and welcoming. Unfortunately Brian did not feel well most of the time we were there. :( It's virtually impossible to know why, exactly. However, the experience alone spoke volumes to both of us. When this happens, and it will from time to time, do we want to be in a foreign country struggling to communicate, or just without our little conveniences that make life easier?

We really thought Panama was next on the list. Now we are looking within the boundaries of "home." Although, nothing is settled until we are settled. We are still in no rush to make a decision, but we hope the house is ready to go up for sale by the end of April. It's still an adventure even within the States. We just don't have to do it in another language.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I'm all about the "no rush" part. Just saying. :)