Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2004

Arrival in Switzerland

I've arrived in Switzerland for my extended stay (furlough) of 6 months. (I will be in Seattle for Christmas and most of January.) I wandered around downtown Bern and I think I put on 10 pounds just looking at all the pastries, cheesecakes and chocolates. They all looked delicious and incredibly fattening! I wish I still had the metabolism I had in high school!

It actually was a little overwhelming even though I love being in a big city. I love the energy, options and so many sites, sounds and smells bombarding the senses. To get "centered" a bit I went to Starbucks and I thoroughly enjoyed my caramel macchiato! Probably the prices, most of all, are the most unsettling and overwhelming. They don't even begin to compare with Polish prices! Before when I was in Switzerland it was for a vacation or a conference of a very short duration so I could splurge some and just enjoy it. Now that's changed and my perspective as well.

I'm so glad to be staying with a family outside of Bern (5 miles). Here is the best of both worlds. I can choose to go into the city, only a 15 minute bus ride, or take a walk and enjoy a view of the mountains. That doesn't cost a thing and is valuable beyond price. Plus, "the girls" - Dorothea (mom), Annina (11), Laura (9), Kayla (6) and I played a game after dinner today. Playing games in a family of this age is not what I get to do normally so that too was fun.