Pages

Friday, April 06, 2012

Gracefully?

There is talk about growing old... gracefully. I don't think there is anyone who would spontaneously comment that I was someone who is growing old gracefully. Hopefully, there are even people out there who wouldn't think I was even getting that old, yet! (If you are out there - I love you, whoever you might be!)

Nonetheless, age keeps adding up, day by day. It can creep up on each of us, at a certain point in life. Although I have to say, some days it doesn't creep; there are days it's more like slamming into a wall. Yesterday that wall was a little spongy, thankfully, but I couldn't move through the day at the pace or with as much progress as I would have liked. In fact, while grocery shopping I decided an espresso treat was just the necessary direction to take so I might continue on - with a spring in my step!? :-) At the cafe stop within the store, I made my order. Not my typical order of a double 12oz. soy latte. No, it truly was a day for a treat, the decision - a caramel macchiato. BUT there was a special going on, I could get a 16oz. for less than a 12oz. SOLD - give me 3 shots, please! I did feel much better by the end of shopping!

Beyond necessary amounts of coffee, for me, I have discovered that the whole "graceful" part revolves mostly around my attitude or perspective. In other words, my body is going to do what it's going to do. (Darn it!) Perhaps I can slow the process a bit by trying to take care of myself but...I can't stop the unfortunate (and inevitable) decline. However, I can adjust my thinking. Somethings are just better to let go. My energy comes in a finite amount. I choose to let many frustrations go because I don't want to waste my energy! Life is simpler and that's not bad. I'm really beginning to understand the phrase - don't sweat the small stuff. I thought I got it before. Well, I'm getting it more now. It's good to find some positives to this whole process. :-)