Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Modern Conveniences

By and large I'm very happy to have been born during the "modern" age that I was. I realize that modern is always changing. I like indoor plumbing, cell phones, color TV, computers and obviously the internet! However, I do think that our imagination for labeling eras or movements has seriously declined. When I was in college (which was more than a couple of years ago) the current architectural movement we were studying was called "Post Modern" which of course followed Modern. Really!? Where do you go from there? Maybe Post Modern will just have to have various phases which continue until the end of time! I don't know I'm not keeping up on the architecture trends. I can hope they've improved their historical legacy, giving greater meaning to the eras. After all, Post Post Modernism just doesn't roll off the tongue!

In any case, my love and appreciation of modern conveniences has been tested lately in the realm of a kitchen sink. Conclusion: Yes, I love them and find them incredibly useful!! Going 5 days without a kitchen sink, because ours was being resurfaced, cramped my style or rather - daily routine. This absence also propelled the greater use of other conveniences, namely the microwave. It's pretty hard to cook or clean up without a sink so microwave dinners came to the rescue. Still, it's not like a microwave and a sink are interchangeable. So glad to have the sink back in use, plus, it looks like new! The rest of the house, though, still is a disaster area.

Thankfully, we see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. It's not over yet but... It should be gorgeous when it's all done. The five and a half weeks spent painting, repairing, replacing, cleaning and staging will be worth it in the end, I trust.