Pages

Saturday, August 11, 2012

East vs. West

The battle of the coasts. Before I launch into a discussion about cultural differences, I hope everyone bears in mind that stereotypes are gross generalizations which have a basis in fact or they wouldn't have become a stereotype. However, no convention of this type is true across the board. There are always layers, derivations, and definite exceptions. The United States is big; we can't deny the "regions" within it. I have a friend who was born and raised on the east coast. In fact, she lives there to this day. When she heard I was moving to "her" side of the country (my term not hers!), she found the concept difficult to imagine. For her, it was easy and enjoyable to visit the west coast but she didn't think she could ever make the switch. And this comes from a woman who has lived in The Netherlands, Hungary, Greece and Albania to name a few places!

On the other hand, since it was Florida in particular, I reasoned the differences would be minimized. I never saw Florida as fully east coast, nor did I consider it part of the deep south. It was neutral in my mind and rather nondescript. Silly me!


The west coast has it's own stereotype, I know. California takes that image even further. Although I have to say that the typical image of California applies more generally to southern California - image obsession, plastic, tanned, and liberal. There is no doubt that I am a product of the west coast environs (Washington in specific), where the living is laid back, recycling is nearly an addiction, and coffee is king!! :-) Granted the coffee is needed to keep the chill off and give a little spark to another dreary day. (However, for me it'a a comfort drink wherever I am.) I would also say that although we are friendly, we are not a warm group of people. Northern climates don't lean in this direction - there are layers to us just like our sweaters and coats!

Now, on this (the east) side perceptions are a little different. I'm still learning about this area so my thinking could change in the future. At the moment, I see "the south" here in customer service - warm and personable, and going to church is a commonplace part of life. As far as "the east" goes, people are more pushy and passionate. Lastly, the driving is just schizophrenic. Either they are beyond aggressive or mighty pokey. Perhaps the "pokeyness" brings out frustration and therefore aggression.

Tomorrow it will be a month since my arrival. Let's face it - I'm a newbie!