Pages

Sunday, August 05, 2012

Nature Walks?

Egret
Oh, the exercise of it all! Brian and I tried to walk a couple of miles 5 or 6 times a week when we lived in California. One of the nicest features of our home there were the trails to walk along a slough. Various types of birds were always a part of our walking routine. On special days we would see egrets, with even greater rarity we might see blue herons. Naturally :-( we never remembered our cameras, but I have many mental images in my files. Those walks were relaxing (perhaps too much so) and a great opportunity for conversation.

Here in Florida - it's the treadmill. It's far too hot to walk outside at this time of year. The treadmill does not allow for "relaxing" which is probably a good thing! Without a doubt I'm getting better exercise but I was going to miss the nature scenes. My second day at the gym I look up from the treadmill panel (checking my awesome stats!) and I find outside the window about 6 feet away - an egret! He decided to feed off the bugs in the bushes right in front of me. :-) On our nature walks in CA we were happy to see the egret when it was 300 feet away! To see the egret so closely was amazing! I guess I can never be sure just what I'm giving up - or not!

In any case, the exercise has been stepped up, so to say! At this point in life I'm not confident of decisive visual changes to my appearance. But I'm hoping to be stronger with better endurance - for many years. Who knows what I'll see along the way!