Pages

Monday, August 09, 2004

Camp - on a personal note

So on more of a personal note about the camp …. The corporate worship of a large group of believers can’t be replaced by anything else. I really needed to worship together with the 160 others and in English! It is amazing the difference it makes worshiping in your native language. I have gotten to the point where it is possible to truly enter into worship in Polish but it’s still different than English. One guy, a number of years ago now, came to me after a service (before I began church planting) to ask forgiveness. He was judging me because during worship I didn’t raise my hands. He was feeling sorry for me because I wasn’t really worshiping. I just thought that he has no idea what it is like to try and worship in a language not your own. And at that time I didn’t know Polish very well. So worshiping in English is always a treat for me.
As a missionary and church planter, it is also easy for feelings of isolation to set in. I think it is mostly because I don’t really know where to call “home”. Poland, America and even Switzerland (where I have friends and churches that support our work) all are home in one way or another. But when I’m in the larger body of Christ and can experience my family on a larger scale I’m comforted and reminded of the connections I do have. Unfortunately I am not spiritual enough to fully grab hold of the truth that heaven is our home. Yes, that’s true but I’m still in this body and struggle with feeling out of place.
I’m very thankful for the heart connections I was able to make at camp. And for the worship and conversations with others that soothed my soul as God watered my parched land.