Pages

Monday, August 16, 2004

A Visitor Straight from Africa!

My cousin, Charles, is about to leave after having been here a total of 10 days. He’s on his way back to the States after serving 2 years with the Peace Corps in The Gambia, West Africa. I can’t really imagine what he has experienced in the past couple of years, including a cobra in his shower! And I can only begin to grasp the various emotions, sights seen and the impact on his perspective of life because I too have lived in a culture other than my own. But Poland is much closer to my culture than Africa is!

It’s been great getting reacquainted with Charles after all these years, to hear some of his stories and to share about our lives a bit. He shared with our Wednesday night group about his time in Africa complete with pictures. The most popular question and with the biggest reaction revolved around the issue of toilet paper or the lack of it!

When I think of Charles’ reentry into life in the States, I can’t imagine what all is ahead of him. He does have some desires and ideas of what he’d like to do. I just wouldn’t have a clue if I were in his position. But that’s probably because I’m feeling a little at a loss these days. I think I need some refocusing time for passion and drive to return. I find myself in a strange state. I’m quite comfortable doing whatever in terms of ministry which is rather unusual because I typically can be hesitant about some things. But the passion or heart behind it seems to be lacking. What is God up to? Time will tell.