Pages

Saturday, August 28, 2004

It's been how long?

Well I can’t believe it but yesterday I celebrated my eighth anniversary of ministering in Poland. We had a college / career meeting last night and I decided to bring a cake with candles to mark the day. I’ve never done anything like that any of the other years but it seemed necessary this time. This past year has had its tough times so I needed to celebrate with others even though none of these people knew the actual day I (we) arrived here.

This year I learned more from others about what I did and do wrong than anything I might have done right. I realize that this is generally the cultural way here. But being an American I’m used to having a few encouraging words along with some suggestions about what can be done better! I can struggle with my own thoughts when there isn’t much encouragement.

For example, this week I had some great time with people. I had a good conversation with Sabina – poolside!  (It’s a new outdoor pool in Zakopane.) The topic wasn’t necessarily easy nor did I have all the answers but it was open and honest. On Wednesday almost the entire group that went to the U-Turn camp did a rather relaxed hike in the mountains. Well, I must say, it was relaxed for them but taxing for me! Anyway we had a wonderful time worshipping, praying and just having fun, along with many pictures being taken. Yet still my disappointing answers to people’s questions weighed heavily on me. At least the answers were disappointing to me.

Maybe because it was the “anniversary week” discouragement crept in too easily. But my thoughts were not holding on to the positive but rather focusing on my inadequacies. So I chose to start the meeting Friday night with the cake and candles. Then the meeting and what was shared was so encouraging for me. The people were just talking about their past week and how God was working. God is so great and it’s just amazing he uses any of us! I’m looking forward to what he has this year. After all, diamonds aren’t made overnight!

Thanks for any prayers you send up on my behalf.