Pages

Sunday, November 28, 2004

Sharing a Cup

Time for coffee, literally, is very important to me. Of course, the little jolt one gets to jump start the day or the jolt to keep going are just a couple of the reasons I drink the stuff. But when I really take the time to enjoy my cup, I’d much rather be drinking with someone. Now that I’m in Switzerland for a bit I’m able to have coffee with people I rarely am able to share this simple pleasure. On the other hand, I miss having coffee with my friends in Poland and still have to look forward to sharing a cup with people in Seattle. I wish I could gather around me in one place all those dear to my heart then I wouldn’t feel so torn.

For me the challenge in this situation is to truly remain open and vulnerable. With my heart in several places, I tend to be protective of it so that it can survive being “split.” But God is faithful to remind me that when I try to protect my heart, I end up hiding it away or holding back and this is my idea of protecting it. I don’t know any other way of protecting it. I’m so thankful God is greater than I and has higher ways than mine. Because my way automatically reduces my openness and vulnerability. I need to actively decide for vulnerability since it is not my automatic reaction. But in the end, the joy I reap and deep connections with others are well worth it. This is a “public” decision to keep deciding for openness and vulnerability.

1 comment:

Jay said...

Lovely, inspirational words.