Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

Different Kinds of Signs

I'm back in Poland - the first leg of our trip. Polish is returning to me fairly easily when it comes to every day little things but deeper conversations are a bit out of my league now. I'm doing a bit of translation for Brian in various situations. This brought back to mind some hilarious signs that people have made note of from their travels.

Direct translations don't always work!! One I saw here in Poland (my favorite one) is posted on a door that you pass while in line for a gondola ride up a mountain. It reads: "Exit 10 minutes before departure. Please wait." Not sure what I'm suppose to do! :-/

Others signs I've heard about - on a menu in Switzerland: "Our wines leave you nothing to hope for." So, here's to a depressing night out!! Another one, not sure of the country, also on a menu: "The manager has personally passed all of the water served here." In that case, I'll pass!! :)

Languages can be a tricky thing! I also remember one of my faux pas when talking to a guy who was about 15 to 20 years younger than I. At one point in the conversation, I told him that I thought he had great potential. (All in Polish, of course.) Well I find out later that I used the word for sexual potency rather than communicating he has a promising future!! Boy, was I embarrassed after the fact!! :-o  Ooops! I do remember he was all smiles after my comment!