Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

What a Process!

I've mentioned that we have a new adventure ahead of us, namely selling the house and looking for our new home. It all started 13+ months ago!

Did we decide to move that long ago? Absolutely not! It began by randomly watching a House Hunters International show - a fractional ownership of a vacation home. I didn't know such a thing existed. I'd heard of timeshares but had no interest in that.  It's important for Brian to travel during the bad weather months, perhaps then get some relief. He can at least be warm, and there comes an emotional renewal with the traveling even if it's not a cure. In any case, we travel. Can we spend less in the long run with fractional ownership than by spending money on hotels and restaurant food? An interesting prospect and I went to work researching.
The Internet is Great for Research!

No such luck finding that kind of ownership in the area we liked to return and visit. Hmmm. Could we buy something out right and then rent it the rest of the time, having it pay for itself? We like the Caribbean, doesn't everyone?! Checked out that for awhile but couldn't seem to make that work either. The prices were just on the edge of possible, but the consistency of rental income was doubtful.

Shifting gears and locations, we found some other areas that were beautiful, more affordable and quite rural. I thought, "Why not? This area is nice, too!" Then, one evening Brian and I "took a walk" via Google maps, and looked up and down the streets. Yup, very rural, no cute little cafes, and seemingly very quiet, too quiet. I'm not so big on the nightlife scene at this point in life but even I think I would be bored there. The beach is wonderful but...

Brian had always talked about this city about 20k inland, though I had never paid much attention. It was inland. I wanted the beach. Maybe I should take a look. After all, it's only 20k away from the beach. What's a half an hour travel?!

The process, thus far, takes us about 5 or 6 months into the past 13+ months. To be continued. :-)

(It did get continued! See Adventure's Roadmap - The Process Part 2)