Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Life with Brian - Part 2

We are out of our regular routine these past few days since we are in WA visiting family. We got to see our daughter's engagement ring IRL (in real life), at the moment Brian is out having some Father - Son time with our youngest, and earlier we celebrated Brian and my mother’s birthdays together. These are all wonderful events and certainly meant to be shared. Although I have to say I love our “regular” life as well.

Today I thought I’d continue a bit with “Life with Brian” (and living with someone with a chronic illness.) We are well into the winter season which does change our pace of life and possible expectations. Can I say our life is more volatile? I don’t think that’s an inappropriate word for the season, but only because of the storms - and I’m talking about the weather, folks!! No, we do not become more volatile with one another! :-) That would just be wasted energy - no room for that!

Weather patterns during the winter are just more unpredictable so Brian’s energy, pain and motivation levels fluctuate a lot more. Therefore, frustration with the situations, and blahs can dictate more than we’d like. (Of course, I can have my own blahs during the winter, too.) There are two aspects during Brian’s challenging season for me that are the most difficult. The first is that I can’t do anything to “fix” the situation. I would love it if I could suggest something or do something that would make him feel better. I don’t know exactly what he feels since I’m not inside his body, but even if I could know I still can’t change it. It’s always difficult to watch someone you love suffer. I can be there for him and listen IF he wants to talk but no expectations.

Secondly, there are times when I miss him. Oh, he can be sitting right next to me but he’s not himself. His pain, or fatigue, or blahs require his full focus just to get through the rough spot. Thankfully for all, those times don’t last too long - a day or two. I probably I miss him more during those tough times than when we are actually apart. I think that’s true because it is then that both difficult aspects come together for me.

All in all, I have no complaints because health issues are our only issue. We are both easy going and have a sense of humor. In my opinion, those are a couple of the key factors in a successful relationship. We appreciate the little things in life, look forward to the good times, try to live in the present, and be thankful - especially for each other!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Thanks for the honesty and reality. I empathize with you - whether the one we love suffers emotionally, spiritually or physically, it's excruciating to watch and not be able to help in some tangibly, visible way. I know Brian is blessed to have you by his side.