Pages

Sunday, February 05, 2012

Adventure's Roadmap - The Process Part 2

  The picture that started it all!
La Calle Escondida

















I mean doesn't that pool and environment look inviting? I figured it was over budget (which it WAY was) but I couldn't resist looking just for fun and pleasure! Although perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself! (To see The Process - Part 1 click here.

That city which is 20K inland from the gulf coast is Merida, Mexico. Would I be bored there? I decided to take a look. OK, I come to find out that it's a city of almost a million people!! Well, there must be something to do there! I did a bit of research but in typical fashion a big part of the initial phase began with a perusal of the real estate. The picture above was a "hook" shot on the first page of a realtor's site under "featured listings." With one click I was whisked away into Spanish Colonial Architecture as I've never experienced. So many of the renovated homes are colorful, joyful and, in my opinion, works of art. I was hooked! (To see more pictures and a description of the home pictured above click here.)

In several previous posts I revealed my near obsession with the colonial architecture of Merida. I scoured a dozen or so different realty sites - for months! I got to know many properties, and they were easily recognizable to me as they appeared on other sites. Some I fell in love with. After so much time the inevitable SOLD sign would appear on some of MY properties! "Oh no!! All the good places will be gone before we get there!" I'm disappointed to see one of my favorites get sold because I just know it would have been perfect for us.

That sounds silly perhaps but this was part of relaxing and just enjoying the process. I've yet to even set foot in Merida and here I was getting disappointed if a special house was sold. So I let go and enjoyed the pictures, video tours and learning more about the city and it's neighborhoods. Of course to actually start looking for a property in another country was the beginning. Then, there was migration for reasons like cost and environment. I changed locales a few times. However, Merida seemed to fit the bill. This must be the place! Or is it? It finally sank in during the phase of seeing "my" houses sold - this was a process, a journey. No decisions have been made, even yet. There's still more to come!

To see past posts with Spanish Colonial Architecture and my fascination with these gems click on the label entitled such. For The Process - part 3 click here.