Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Perhaps a Different Kind of Drink!

Coffee in many forms is at the top of my list especially as a comfort drink. I don't suppose I can really call it comfort food but it certainly fits somehow in that category. It is that cup of Ahhh and a transcendent experience. This quote also puts it well:

Coffee is the common man's gold, and like gold, it brings to every person the feeling of luxury and nobility. - Sheik Abd-al-Kadir
However, even I realize that other drinks are more appropriate for certain occasions, moods, or times of day. My friend (mentioned in the last post) also gave me a recipe for Limoncello! How exciting!! I've heard of others making it, but I must confess that I bought the bottle I have now at Trader Joe's. Nonetheless, this could be a fun winter activity and thought I'd share it with you.

© 2011 ABC Television / the chew
easy
skill level
over 120min
time
more than 12
servings
$
cost
Mario Batali's Limoncello
Contributed by: Mario Batali
This thick sweet cordial dessert will hit the spot after a long and filling meal. Make a batch
today and enjoy it for weeks to come. Note: Mario Batali prepared this recipe differently on air
but for best results follow the procedures below.
4 Cup vodka zest of 10 lemons
2 1/2 Cup sugar 3 1/2 Cup water



ingredients
4 Cup vodka
zest of 10 lemons
Place vodka and zest in a sealable jar, like a mason jar and allow
to sit in a cool place for 4 days.
2 1/2 Cup sugar
3 1/2 Cup water
On the fifth day place 2 1/2 cups sugar and 3 1/2 cups water in a
saucepan and bring to a boil. Allow to cook 5 minutes, remove from
heat and allow to cool.
Add sugar solution to the vodka solution and allow to stand
overnight.
Strain through a layer of cheesecloth in a conical sieve, pressing
the solids firmly. Strain again through a second layer in the same
manner.
Chill and allow to stand 1 week. Serve very cold.