Pages

Tuesday, October 04, 2011

We all like it a bit differently - coffee that is! part 2

I've finished my morning coffee - an absolute necessity to really move into the day. Now I find myself ready to finish the post about my coffee evaluations of our trip. The coffee juices are flowing!


Poland - my experience this trip is limited only to one cafe but it was a strong contender after asking for some modifications. Their cappuccino with an extra shot was quite tasty! Their cold coffee treat gets second place, again, after adding another shot. This treat was more like an affogato or an ice cream sundae with espresso topping - quite yummy. I'm hoping things have changed within the home. I quit drinking coffee in peoples' homes back in the late 90's because almost everyone drank instant (at least the people I visited)! I tried for a while but just couldn't do it and switched to tea when visiting. However, that was a long time ago, so it all could be quite different.
Spain - this country wins for most normal, delectable coffee. I throughly enjoyed their cafe con leche or coffee with milk, steamed milk that is but not frothy. Just plain good.
Switzerland - although we visited only a week, at one point, I lived there for about 9 months. Never in my entire time there did I see any Swiss person take their coffee with an equal part of hot chocolate, as noted in my "part 1" post. I don't know where "they" got that information but it certainly was not my experience.
The Swiss take their coffee VERY seriously and put a lot of money behind it. I had a coffee at the bar of a 2 star, chain hotel and the guy was telling me that their machine, a smallish one of this type, cost "like the price of a small car." Yes, he said it cost $15,000 - yup that's dollars!! I know another person there who's home espresso machine cost the equivalent of $1,800. With all that said, I had the most consistently outstanding coffee and espresso in Switzerland - roll one's eyes back fantastic! They do come in third for cold coffee treat - coffee ice cream with a coffee/chocolate like syrup.

Now you know how I like my coffee - with milk. I prefer espresso and to drink coffee is a necessity in the morning, for sure, but a pleasure whenever I drink it!! So how do you like your coffee? Is it a necessity? Or just a pleasure? Are you an espresso fan or do you prefer brewed coffee?

1 comment:

Laura said...

Well, you know that my favorite coffee is the way you make it with a touch of sugar, no milk and whipped cream. But, my new favorite is the affagoto! All time best dessert coffee ever...in my opinion, of course :)