Pages

Wednesday, November 09, 2011

One of Life's Grand Events

The wedding day is past. What an event it all was!! Naturally, Sabina looked gorgeous, no surprise there! The wedding was amazing and for me the best part was that Sabina and Chris both said their vows in English and Polish. A more difficult feat for Chris and I was impressed. By the way, I didn't cry at the wedding - shocker! Just thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

There is something special about making the time for such a grand party afterward as opposed to rushing through a reception so the couple can escape. Of course I'm older but I'm not sure I would have had the stamina for it myself, as the bride! (I understand the party ended about 5 am!!) The reception was filled with food, dancing, singing, a skit where Chris had to “buy back his wife,” more food, and vodka – to the level to which each person was comfortable. For me personally, it was also a wonderful time to catch up with people I hadn't seen for years. Life marches on and there were many stories to share. I really appreciate the opportunity to get reacquainted face-to-face with old friends, so thanks Chris and Sabina for getting married!! :)

Cultural differences can show up in many varied ways from eating times, to major life event traditions, like weddings, to everyday priorities. I traveled with a few people one of them being Chris' step-sister who is 11. At the end of our time in Poland she makes the statement that she likes the actual travel part of traveling but not being somewhere new. As you know from earlier posts, I am the exact opposite of her. Of course, she is only 11 so things may change in the future. I love new places (or old ones I haven't been for a while) and find it fascinating how many ways there are to approach life. I work hard, sometimes harder than other times, to be open to new perspectives and ideas. I can't embrace them all since some ideas can be opposing to one another, but open in that I don't judge by thinking that's weird or strange rather just different than how I might do things. Challenges, new concepts and different priorities make me grow and open up my world. I have to say that sometimes the new ways are better than my old ones, or at least a welcome diversion! 

The whole trip was great. I was thrilled to be able to help Sabina in any way, just spend time with her, and see how a Polish wedding is done! Awesome and a lot of fun!

3 comments:

Laura said...

But Carol, what about all the coffee??? :)

Anonymous said...

Love you friend!!! I am so happy and so thankful that you came and were here with me, helped me and witnessed my wedding : ) You are the best fiend ever! Sending you kisses and hugs : ) and greetings to you and your husband from me and my husband : )

Carol said...

To Anonymous aka Sabina - at least this time! So glad I was there too!! Like I said - awesome! We send greetings back to the newlyweds!! :)