Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

On the Lighter Side? Not so much but...

I had wanted my next post be a little lighter in nature. I even looked on youtube for something that might be funny and light. Either it was my mood or my sense of humor, but nothing really struck me as all that great. After that attempt, in my regular reading, I came across the following and found it quite applicable. Sorry, I wouldn't say it's light but hopefully uplifting. In the end, I found it hopeful and comforting.

Some people like to regard themselves as 'realists.' You may have heard someone say, 'I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist.' Maybe you have said that yourself. I have. The inference is that an optimistic person is not realistic. Accordingly, the only honest and correct way to view the world is to point out the deficiencies, difficulties and inevitable failures.”

This quote took me up short a bit as I have often described myself as a realist rather than an optimist. I've never thought of myself as a pessimist. Either way, I ended up saying, “Uh oh!” The document goes on to say the person with this realist attitude is a naysayer, one who ignores the positive, emphasizes the negative to such a degree that even words of encouragement are irritating; and they're cynical people. It continues with:

The optimist says the cup is half full. The pessimist says the cup is half empty. The man of faith gives thanks that the cup is half full, and he marvels that God will either make the half cup sufficient to meet his need or miraculously refill the cup.”

I do want to be a “faith full” person. My current financial situation is what it is. There is nothing I can do to change it. Even though I was surprised by this turn of events, God wasn't surprised. The matter will be settled and I will move on into the future. God is there too! I trust him. I'm sad at times over the loss, and there are significant changes due to it. However, it's not the end of the world and I've learned valuable lessons! 


Document quote out of a reading from one of First Fruits of Zion publications.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually remember reading the comment you quoted and how it grabbed my attention. I've always been the optimist but the reality of war, divorce, death, drug abuse and chronic illness kind of knocked the stuffing out of me and I feel like I began to view the world from a position more like a "realist".

The question, for me, was how to continue living with hope while continually being reminded of the hopelessness we each face in this world. Like you, the answer came in the form of realizing, again, that each day I need to decide what is most important, and I have to trust the lord to give me the strength to follow through. I'm still working on that lesson, but I am with you sweets!!!

Even though curve balls abound, I wouldn't trade this adventure for anything.