Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Home and Garden Tour

A realtor in conjunction with the Merida English Language Library (at least that's where we met) does a tour of three renovated homes once a week, during the tourist season. I realize it's an opportunity to try and sell houses but I still wanted to go inside some of these homes! So Brian and I along with 50 to 60 others (tourists!! ;-o ) heard a bit of Merida's history, and then, did a brief walking tour. I know the houses chosen can change but I was hoping to walk the interior of La Calle Escondida - the house which sucked me into Merida's real estate, Spanish colonial architecture, and was a big part of The Process. That was the first house!

Much of this house in not colonial at all, in contrast, parts are whimsical, others thoroughly modern. I'd seen the video, perused the pictures and imagined what the spaces must be like in actuality. The photographer definitely shot the home with a wider wide-angle lens then I have. The spaces seemed even grander and larger in the photos. However, I would never say the rooms were cramped!

1st Courtyard Looking towards the Street
The idea of The Hidden Street or in other words - La Calle Escondida, is a fun one. You first walk into an entry room and then immediately into a courtyard. It is this part which is the "hidden street." The architect used the sides of the courtyard to mimic a Merida street. On one side, the side shown here to the left, are bedrooms, upper and lower. However, they look like actual building facades with balconies. The other side, below, is the wall dividing the homes which he has superimposed different types of facades, some with deterioration and all.



1st Courtyard Looking towards the House and the Rest of the Property

































Following are some interior shots. The second courtyard with the pool and outdoor living spaces is probably my favorite area. Although, the master suite isn't bad either!
Interior Sunken Living Room
Pool Coutyard & Master Suite Balcony 


Looking across to Master Suite
from Rooftop Area 

Outdoor Living Area below Master Suite
Last but Not Least - the Master Suite
OK, this is probably enough for one post. Trust me, I have more pictures, but I'm sparing you the full rendition. I'll show you more of the other houses at another time, and maybe some pics of where we are staying. Can you tell I used to be an architect?! Enjoying the architectural/cultural differences.